Until now the pharmaceutical enterprises in France were spared by lawyers and plaintiffs.
On its side the French State, instead of launching lawsuits as many States of North America did, preferred on one hand to raise public taxes based on the pharmaceutical industry’s revenues and on the other hand to regulate heavily the prices of the drugs approved for the French market. But recently the trend changed. And the consumers now ask to civil or penal courts to evaluate the damages they think they have been victim of. And more than that, the state is held for responsible in the mind of many citizens for not having asked the trial to be held before.
The risk of such trials, if they lead to plenty of punitive verdicts against the pharmaceutical firms is the future increases of the prices of medicines (because no enterprise can afford itself to lose money at the end of the day).
French drugmaker on trial over weight-loss pill
- French drugmaker on trial over weight-loss pill – Reuters (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- French trial opens in diabetes-diet drug scandal (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- French trial opens in diabetes-diet drug scandal (sfgate.com)
- Testing Begins for Diet Drug That May be Linked to 500 Deaths (wspa.com)
- French trial opens in diabetes-diet drug scandal – CTV.ca (ctv.ca)
- French trial opens in diabetes-diet drug scandal (kansascity.com)
- French trial opens of makers of diabetes drug used suspected in some 500 deaths (foxnews.com)
- French Trial Opens in Diabetes-Diet Scandal (time.com)