Too much sitting may be bad for your health.
Those who sit more often are found to have a greater risk of premature death, particularly from heart disease.
Said otherwise, prolonged sitting is a health-destroyer.
They are numerous sorts of risk/preventive factors of chronic disease or premature death: dietary, calorie’s intake, physical activity, cardiovascular fitness, sedentary behaviour. For the latter, prevention searchers have defined a surrogate or a proxy or a correlate which is the prolonged sitting time whose they are trying to asses the consequence on health. Determinants of behaviours such as healthy eating, moving, being sedentary represent a huge field of research aiming to invent the prevention slogans for the future.
More and more studies tend to prove that prolonged sitting is a heartbreaker
Now it’s time, already, to ask your boss to buy height-adjustable desks for his staff or to introduce nonseated working options in the offices.
Neville Owen, Takemi Sugiyama, Elizabeth E. Eakin, Paul A. Gardiner, Mark S. Tremblay, James F. Sallis, Adults' Sedentary Behavior: Determinants and Interventions, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Volume 41, Issue 2, August 2011, Pages 189-196, ISSN 0749-3797, 10.1016/j.amepre.2011.05.013.
Too Much Sitting May Be Bad for Your Health, 11 July 2011 Elsevier
- Why do we need to be active? (ontrackeating.wordpress.com)
- Why being stuck at a desk all day might kill you (theglobeandmail.com)
- TV viewing poses greater risk for heart disease than computer use (news.bioscholar.com)
- Do you own a car and a TV? It could be a deadly combination that leads to a greater risk of having a heart attack (dailymail.co.uk)
- Sedentary Lifestyle, Sitting, Can Cause Cancer and Diabetes (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)